8.05.2016

God Gives Us Friends

I got a call from my good friend Carla yesterday and after that call, I was reminded how friendships are given by God. 

Years ago, being a new christian in a new church, I didn't know anyone, not a single person. I vividly remember praying for God to give me friends, like good friends who will understand the decision I made to follow Christ and will worship God with me. I desired that so much! 

The first friends I made was the small group I joined, we were about 6 girls and we met every week to discuss Bible truths and how we could apply it to our life. That group was a huge blessing! Not only did they expose me to what Christianity is like, they also rejoiced, corrected, prayed, cried with me on so many nights in probably every cafe you could find in the Ortigas area. (Ahhh, memories!!) Eventually everyone pursued God's call in their own lives and we had to move on but we always kept the relationships. These days, we are still very much connected and pretty much take advantage of social media and the Internet. 

Time passed and as I spent more time in church, of course I got to know more and more people. Made friends from work (my job then was ministry related) and absolutely enjoyed working because of them. Lunch breaks were never boring with topics like: what are the 5 qualities you want for your future husband? HAHA. When work became a bit stressful sometimes, friends made it so much easier and better. 

Married my husband and then got to know another group of people who I consider closest to me now. I once read that we don't really find our closest friends, rather we recognise them. I thank God for these girls because aside from the countless nights of just chatting endlessly about anything and eating nearly everything that was put on the table, we shared the same revelation of how fallen and sinful we are apart from Christ and we celebrated that each time. Meeting them for coffee was both healing and refreshing. We exchanged personal revelations and spurred one another whenever somebody went through tough times but we also watched movies, even started a book club, swapped clothes, did slumber parties, laughed and laughed for hours and I very much treasure every single memory until now. 

God knows our need for friends. He understands how we are wired and that we thrive with women around us who are supporting us, cheering us on or simply enjoying a cup of tea with us. And He is more than willing to give us friends, like really GOOD friends who will understand why you are following Jesus and will share the same interests with you at the same time. 

I write this because now, I am a thousand miles away from the people I call friends and to be honest, I can't really say yet that I have a regular set of friends who have coffee with me but slowly, in time I know it will come. Although, God is so faithful and good to bring me ladies who call out of the blue and willingly drive me somewhere or simply drop by for a visit... and for that I am thankful. 

Maybe you're like me and you're in a new city or country without your old friends. Or it could be that you just moved to a new school and hardly know the person seated next to you in class. It's alright, be open. It doesn't matter they talk differently or they're not your age. Friendships with older women can be a beautiful thing!

Don't be afraid to take that first step. You never know what will happen after that first hello. That person might be praying for a friend too. And lastly, enjoy the wait. He has planned even your friendships and when He does gives us friends, it will be worth it all.  

"One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24NIV

Sharing with you some photos from our recent Canberra trip. Happy Friday friends! 











2 comments:

  1. Awww....I've actually been thinking about how nice it would be to have a coffee with you ;) so if you ever want to hang out with an older woman....I'm just a message away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Older woman ���� but I'd gladly take your offer anytime. Let's do it soon ❤️

    ReplyDelete