10.03.2012

DIYing our home

I don't know if you're like me but I get easily bored with my decor at home. I think it is the creative blood in me (not my hormones) that wants to change our sofa arrangement every month or create something, anything that can add beauty and character to our house. After I do so, I sit back, marvel at my work, feeling content and fulfilled with what I have done. So. I compiled 4 very easy and simple DIYs you can make in your own homes when you're feeling creative or simply bored!

DIY Chalkboard Wall
How to make chalkboard paint:
1. Gather your main materials: flat-finish Latex paint and tile grout.
2. Paint and Grout ratio is 1 CUP paint : 2 TBS grout.
3. Mix together until smooth. 
4. Paint and make sure you get a full, even coverage on your wall.
5. Let dry.

Helena enjoying her chalkboard
how it looks from afar. it is right below our big living room mirror
DIY Memories in a Jar
1. Get a used, empty jar and clean it well.
2. Put stuff inside you've gathered over the years. I put my daughter's bottle nipples and birthday candles. Sea sand and shells from our first ever beach trip. I also cut a thin strip of cardboard paper, wrote memories that reminded me of that trip and slipped it right inside.  

these are like little reminders around your home

DIY Family Letter
1. Buy or make your letter. I bought mine for P40 at Market Market Mall.
2. Spray paint in any color you like. Black always looks classy and well, it was the only available color in my stash.
3. Put wherever you please!
before spray painting
close up
our photo slash book shelves


DIY Starry Sky
1. Hang Christmas lights on your ceiling. 
2. Watch it like they were real stars with your kids. Real fun I'm telling you!


On a serious note, doing these projects made me realize that I didn't need a perfect home to have a happy family. Even if I'm not able to buy all the nice and expensive (although I still wish from time to time) things for our house, I still choose to live my dreams today by making the most of what I have. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed these 4 small projects you can do in your own homes. They were very easy to do and all over the internet too if you'd like to get more tutorials. Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Love your DIY posts, Iris! You inspire me to revive my blog. :) Keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete